Shipwrecks from a mighty 1905 November gale prompted this rugged landmark’s construction. Completed by the U.S. Lighthouse Service in 1910, Split Rock Light Station was soon one of Minnesota’s best known landmarks. Restored to its 1920s appearance, the lighthouse offers a glimpse of lighthouse life in this remote and spectacular setting.
Lee Radzak has been the historic site manager at Split Rock Lighthouse since 1982. Radzak was previously an archaeologist for the Minnesota Historical Society, working on Minnesota state parks projects. He was also an archaeologist for the Minnesota Statewide Archaeological Survey from 1976 to 1982. Radzak has a B.A. in anthropology and archaeology.