Archive for July, 2012
Leather garter or knee band made by Dakota Indians in Mandan, North Dakota in 1888. The garter has hide thong ties and dyed quillwork decorations. Its lower edge has rawhide thong fringe wrapped with dyed quillwork; the end of each strand terminates in a metal cone with dyed eagle feathers projecting from the larger end.
For details, view the garter in our online collections database.
To view more examples of Dakota material culture, visit Ochethi Šakowiŋ – The Seven Council Fires.
This depiction of the fort built around the officers’ quarters in the camp of the 1st Minnesota Regiment near Fair Oaks was published in Frank Leslie’s Illustrated Newspaper. The regiment camped near Fair Oaks throughout June, 1862, following the June 1 battle there. By July the regiment had fought the Battles of Savage Station and White Oak Swamp and then moved to a camp at Harrison’s Landing for the rest of the month.
For more Civil War items, see this Collections Online “Civil War” search.
Title: The War in Virginia-Fort Built Round the Officers’ Quarters, Quarters of the 1st Minnesota Regiment, Col. Sully, Near Fair Oaks. Location no. E425.11 p92
Transcription of a diary entry by Matthew Marvin, Private in the 1st Minnesota Regiment:
“Was on drill twice and on dress parade[.] Weather warm.”
Civil War-era double-breasted officer’s frock coat made of wool flannel lined with cotton twill above the waist and cotton below the waist. The front closes with two rows of eight General Staff buttons; one has been replaced with a staff-type Grand Army of the Republic button. The coat combines early and late-period stylistic features and is not a regulation item. It was probably worn by Lieutenant John A. West while he served in the 2nd Minnesota National Guard Regiment, Company C, but may also be from a militia organization.
For details, view the coat in our online collections database.
Prototype version of the Davis Tube electromagnetic separator used to measure the amount of iron ore in taconite rock samples. The machine consists of six components: a motor control mounted on plywood; a plywood shelf with a glass cylinder, hose and pipe; electrical switches marked A, B and C and mounted on a triangular box; a brass rail and motor assembly with toggles and an off/fast dial; a glass bottle; and a glass cylinder. It was invented by E.W. Davis of Minneapolis circa 1916 and manufactured by the Cutler-Hammer Company.